Student Resident Program
Polk County Fire District No. 1 has maintained a long-standing commitment to work with local colleges and universities in providing work experience opportunities for students enrolled in a fire service or pre-hospital care curriculum. It is the District’s intent to aid the resident in developing the skills and acquire the knowledge necessary in a fire service career.
The resident program has traditionally been for students seeking their AAS Fire Science degree. However, as fire service demands continue to change, more students are extending their time in the program (2 year average) while continuing their education in obtaining their AAS Paramedic and/or BS Fire Administration.
PCFD is proud to boast an excellent career placement record (better than 90%) with agencies such as Salem, Tualatin Valley, Portland, Clackamas, Vancouver, Tacoma, Seattle, as well as PCFD itself.
Goals and Objectives
- Promote knowledge of the basic operating principles of the fire and emergency medical service through day-to-day operations, hands on experience and actual classroom time
- Assist the District with staffing, maintaining and operating various emergency apparatus
- Promote the social, intellectual and physical welfare of members and create a family atmosphere with closer association among its members by mutual endeavor and cooperation
- Provide experience, training and mentoring to assist resident with the skills and knowledge to obtain employment and succeed in a fire service career
- Rent free dorm style room shared with 2 other residents with use of kitchen and laundry facilities, computer, fax, printers, cable TV, and fully equipped fitness facility
- Hands-on training and emergency response experience that builds a skillful knowledge base that greatly enhances marketability for employment
- An excellent career placement record (better than 90%) with agencies such as Salem, Tualatin Valley, Portland, Clackamas, Vancouver, Tacoma, Seattle, and PCFD itself