Polk County Fire District No.1 offers complimentary notary services to Monmouth, Independence, Buena Vista, Airlie, Suver, and Pedee residents. Please call 503.838.1510 ext. 301 to schedule an appointment. There may be times when notorizations can be done on a drop-in basis during the hours listed below, but our notary is often helping patrons or busy with other responsibilites, so we strongly encourage you to make an appointment.
Open Monday - Friday 8:00am to 5:00pm; excluding Holidays. Not available between 11:00am-1:00pm.
- Valid government-issued photo identification is required along with proof of residency/address.
- Notaries cannot make copies, or certify to copies, of public records. This includes birth or death certificates and marriage or divorce decrees.
- Notaries cannot pre-date or post-date an action, prepare a legal document or give advice on legal matters, or notarize documents in which they have a personal interest.
- Due to time constraints, we can notarize up to a total of three documents.
- The fire department will not provide witnesses, and witnesses may not be solicited from patrons using the fire department. In order to serve as a witness, the witness must personally know the person whose document is being notarized and must be in possession of valid photo identification.
- Since notaries must be able to read and understand what they have been asked to notarize, documents in any language other than English will not be notarized at the fire department.
- Certain public documents cannot be copied and notarized. Examples are: birth certificates, death certificates, and marriage certificates.
- Notaries will not provide service if the customer, document or circumstances of the request for notary service raise any issue of authenticity, ambiguity, doubt or uncertainty for the fire department. In this event, the fire department notary may, at their sole discretion, decline to provide notary service.